Hopewell Church - Israel Township
In 1806 and 1807 several families, most of whom were of Scotch-Irish descent, members of the Associate Reformed Prebyterian Church, and opposed to slavery, left South Carolina and came to Israel Township. They named their church Hopewell in honor of their church in South Carolina. Their first building was built in 1808 and was of logs. The present brick building was completed in 1827 by means of 116 families pledging a total of $1,100.00.
In 1964 an interdenominational organization, Historic Hopewell, was incorporated. The plan was to offer a place of worship to vacationers at Hueston Woods State Park. A Preble County, Ohio landmark.
Today, Hopewell holds Sunday services in the summer months and is maintained by a devoted group of volunteers.
Services begin at 9:30AM. All are welcome!
One mile west of State Route 177 on Camden College Corner Road.